'in a planet of our own' - a vision of sustainability from six continents
3rd - 7th November 2009
IIT Bombay, Mumbai, India and in other venues in Mumbai City.
Design Carnival: Exhibitions on H2O
- H2O: a widely acclaimed and sought after exhibition from Italy that portrays the diverse world of water and its uses
Design Carnival: Exhibitions 'Things We Take for Granted'
- Things We Take for Granted: photo essays that celebrate the beauty surrounding the unexpected use of common materials and products put to uncommon use
Design Carnival: Exhibitions 'So Tweet the Earth'
- So Tweet the Earth: a cartoon exhibition from UMO that laments the vanishing state of Nature from our physical environments, and caricatures our obsession with the ‘virtual’ as an escape from this reality.
Design Carnival: Exhibitions 'Nature's Fables'
- Nature’s Fables: stories on sustainability from our culture
Design Carnival: Exhibitions on Sustainability Projects
- In a Planet of Our Own: an exhibition of projects on sustainability from all six continents
Number of participating Institutions:
limited to 24 - 30
Number of Poster Panels:
50 - 60 of Size 3ft x 4ft
The event ‘In a Planet of Our Own’ is scheduled to be held at Mumbai, India from 3rd to 7th of November 2009 and is being hosted by the Industrial Design Centre (IDC), at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, Mumbai.
This international event is aimed at creating design awareness on sustainability and simultaneously offers a platform for interaction for the design community. The events are centered around the interests of students, educationists, practicing professional designers and sustainability interest groups.
During this event, we invite your school to participate to showcase your ideas on sustainability.
The objective of the exhibition will be to commemorate the theme of sustainability as practiced across different parts of the world in all its diversity, and to the extent possible, derived as localized solutions. The exhibition will try to feature invited work on sustainability from design schools and design councils to cover all six continents.
We request your participation with work done by you and your students on the theme of sustainability, to be displayed as part of an exhibition named ‘In a Planet of Our Own’. We encourage you to submit design projects that represent the concerns, the contrasts, the experiences, the essence and characteristics connected with sustainability (for example, it could be concerning your individual space, locality, a street, a town, a city or even your country).
These could be based on design work that has already been carried out at your school or work on a subject/topic that you may choose to undertake for this occasion.
Each institution is requested to submit one or two projects on the theme of sustainability that can be displayed on panels of size 3ft width and 4 ft height. The final image could be any of these - collage of images, graphic diagrams, animated still pictures, etc. You could use illustrations, sketches, photos, graphics and typography.
You need to also send us a brief write-up in less than 150 words along with the entry as well as a vision statement in a line on sustainability.
Exhibition Space and publication:
Your submission will be printed and displayed on panels of size 3ft x 4ft. 50 to 60 of these panels from Institutions across the six continents will be displayed in an exhibition space of 5000 sq feet.
With each of the above mentioned panels, will be a smaller panel of size 2ft x 6ft with the title of your submission, your write-up on your submission, your vision statement on sustainability, write up about the your institution, the name of the faculty mentors and the names of the students.
The submissions will also be printed in form of a publication to be released at the time of the exhibition.
The Modalities and Timeline:
The schools can decide to do this exercise across a week or fortnight as part of a workshop, or as part of a credited course. We request the faculty members to mentor the students in this endeavor. The last date for receiving your designs is 30th of September 2009.
Submissions of your entry:
Check-list of submissions:
1. Submission of project images on sustainability in 300 dpi JPEG file to be displayed on a panel of size of 3ft width and 4ft height,
2. Title of your panel,
3. A brief write-up in less than 150 words on your submission,
4. Your vision statement in a line on sustainability,
5. Write up about the your institution,
6. The names of the faculty mentors and
7. The names of the student participants.
email it to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
or snail mail to:
Exhibition – In a planet of our own
IDC, IIT Bombay
Participation is mainly by invitation, but if you strongly feel that you need to be included as part of this event, do write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com